Serving Kitchener and surrounding areas since 1979
Welcome to Clark Animal Hospital!
We are pleased to announce that we will no longer be performing elective declaw procedures in cats!
The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) has recently released a position statement that they oppose elective and non-therapeutic Partial Digital Amputation (PDA), commonly known as declawing or onychectomy, of domestic cats. Please visit https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/documents/partial-digital-amputation-onychectomy-or-declawing-of-the-domestic-felid-position-statement for more details.
Scratching is a normal behavior in cats but here are some tips to discourage unwanted scratching:
- feline pheromone sprays to redirect the cat to more desirable scratching materials;
- double-sided tape to deter cats from scratching the edges of furniture;
- regular nail trimming (recommended every two weeks);
- artificial nail covers such as Soft Paws
- environmental enrichment and appropriate daily play to decrease feline aggression;
- avoidance of hand/foot play which can lead the cat to see these human parts as prey;
- the application of basic principles of reinforcement of desirable behaviour, including the use of catnip, treats, and verbal praise.
Please do no hestiate with any questions that you may have! We are here to help!